Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Riding the Bus

That's what I do every day. I'm carfree and to get around I use my two feet or I ride the bus. Dart First State, to be exact. I want to say a little about being a bus rider... it is wonderful, and it sucks. I like not being alone in a ton of steel, barreling down the 95 and burning gallons of gas, emitting tons of CO2... Being environmentally friendly, in other words. I like sitting there in the air conditioning, reading the paper or listening to the NY Times news on my MP3 player, checking my voice mail. Instead of concentrating on the same boring drive, day after day. It's sort of like having my own chauffeur... only it's one that often shows up way late, or has the limo already overfull with other passengers.

Like yesterday. I get off work, make my way across the road to my stop. Perfect... a little warm, but the bus will be air conditioned. But now it's late... 5 minutes...  then 10 minutes... now 20 minutes. Finally, at 10 after 5:00, I see it rounding the corner. It's not my bus, though. It's the next bus. Mine broke down somewhere. The second time this summer. Some buses are usually on time,or close to it. Route 40 - almost never any more. It's typically 10, 15, 20 minutes late. Why is that?

All spring the regular driver managed to keep his route on schedule. I virtually always made my connection to Route 6. A good driver, he. Then the big change back at the end of May, and the drivers are slugs. Or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment