Saturday, October 8, 2011

Foot Trouble Equals Travel Trouble

One thing is needed for commuting by bus or train... walking! That is considered one benefit of using public transit, actually. But a problem walking has thrown a wrench into my commuting lately.

It started with a shallow, minor transverse cut on the bottom of the big toe on my right foot. I didn't even notice when it happened, but as I continued to walk on it, the friction kept opening it up and it got more and more sore. It's not infected, inflamed, or bleeding, and it's not large. It just hurts when I walk. I think what is happening is that because of the transverse (cross-wise) orientation of the cut, as my foot moves backwards and forwards during each step, it pulls the edges of the cut open, and the skin and nerves at the base of the cut are irritated.  Hence the pain.

This should heal up soon,  but walking on it is probably delaying healing. And without some walking, I cannot get around... to work, to buy groceries, and so on.

I tried a bandaid yestereday for my walk to get groceries, but that was a major fail. Today I found a package of Dr. Scholl's Moleskin sheets. I cut a long strip and wrapped it around the toe, overlapping securely on top. Then I put on a tight-fitting sock. I need to travel about a mile to teach a class at the library. I'll try walking in my cushy Crocs and see if that works. If not, I can ride the bus home.

Moral of this story is to take good care of your feet (and legs) if you need them for commuting. Anybody can hobble to their car when they have a sore foot/knee/leg. But it will be a much bigger problem if you have to walk several blocks at one or both ends of your commute.


No comments:

Post a Comment