Friday, June 24, 2011

Jazz Festival at Rodney Square

I've caught small portions of the annual DuPont Clifford Brown Jazz Festival this week when I have been at Rodney Square for transfers, going to and from work. It's been great. Even before the live entertainment starts, there is music playing for the enjoyment of us all... mellow jazz, mostly, and much appreciated.

The traffic has been a little heavier in the late afternoon-evening hours, making some buses run late. But I have not had any problems finding a place to wait for my bus.

This is a very easy... and free!... attraction for people in NCCo who do not drive. The crowd is pleasant, and getting here is easy if you have access to a bus route.

By the way, last night I noticed a table selling pies, over on the 10th Street sidewalk, next to the booth selling prints of jazz artists. They had sweet potato pies and bean pies. The labels said they were from Shabazz Bakery,  and ingredient lists included only natural ingredients, including eggs, butter, milk, sugar, etc. No chemicals. I bought a "personal size" bean pie, which I'd never heard of before. It's made with navy beans and brown sugar, and has a cinnamon topping. I had it for dessert last night, and it was delicious! Well worth the $3.00 price, big enough for 2 servings... but I ate it all. The crust on these types of commercially-made pies is usually terrible, like cardboard. But this was good, with a pleasant mild flavor, and the texture was even slightly flaky, almost homemade. Highly recommended!


No comments:

Post a Comment