Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Some Random Thoughts on Being Carfree in the Summer

I have not been posting a lot lately, sorry. I'm going to just jot down a few thoughts on how being carfree makes summer a little different, which has been on my mind lately.

It probably hasn't escaped anyone's notice that we're into our... what?... third heat wave so far this summer. It was a warm spring, and we were all speculating about what that would mean for summer. Well, now we know.

Most people I know use air conditioning. I am kind of an AC Luddite. I don't think it's as healthy to stay in a climate-controlled cocoon all the time. Our ancestors did fine in the heat and were generally healthier than us. But more importantly, the large amount of fossil fuel used to refrigerate private homes is terrible for the planet. Oh yeah, being AC-free saves a lot of money that I'd much rather spend on other things. So when it's hot I get up early, walk to do my early shopping, and then come home and relax in front of a big floor fan with a tall, frosted glass of something iced. Better yet, outside in an Adirondack chair in the shade of a tree until the sun goes down and the mosquitoes come out. 


I think getting around without a car can be more challenging when it's really hot. The buses are nice, too cold sometimes. But standing and waiting can be hard, as many stops are situated without shade or seating. I find planning really helps. I try to start out early, while it's still cool. And I carry my bus schedules with me and consult them carefully, so that I can stay indoors where it's cool and not spend so much time outside waiting for the bus to go home. This would be made easier if the buses ran on time, but if you've been riding for a while, you probably know which routes are usually on schedule, and which can run way early or late (my not-so-favorites for that are routes 5, 6 and 40). You probably have your own "favorites." Sometimes you can even make a choice of which stop to use, one with a shelter, or better yet a shady tree, versus one without. Just give it some study.


It is often a little harder for folks without cars to get out of a sweltering home and to a "cooling center," which is a recommended action when the heat soars to the point you start feeling unwell. And that can happen. We had a power outage on the Fourth of July, so nobody in my neighborhood could avail themselves of AC, fans, or even ice from the freezer (unless you wanted all your food to defrost). It was pretty hot, and I was very glad when the power came back on in the evening. Of course the buses weren't running, so you needed a car to go somewhere with AC. 


I'd say those of us without cars just need to be a little more prepared, watch the weather a little more closely, and make plans accordingly. Malls, libraries, and movie theaters are good places to spend some time and get a break from the heat. Plan your travel so you keep out of the worst of the sun. Take some water with you, preferably iced. And when at home, a nice cool shower, or even just dunking your head under the cold water spigot and wetting down the front of your shirt and standing in front of a fan, can cool you down fast if you've overheated trying to do something like mow the lawn on a 95 degree afternoon (been there, done that.)







No comments:

Post a Comment